THE GOSPEL OF JOHN
I. John 5:2
24. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting
life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
[A] Again, I want to remind you, that it will be Jesus who judges the earth, we seen this in verse 22
 John 5:22
22. For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
[B] Here in verse twenty-two we see what Jesus says he will judge people for. It is the guideline by which we are
to determine if we have eternal life. Although it is only one verse, it is packed full of things we need to
understand and follow.
 He that heareth my word
[a] It simply hearing the words of Jesus enough?
22. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural
face in a glass:
24. For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man
25. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a
forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
15. (Jesus said) If ye love me, keep my commandments.
[b] Is simply hearing the word of Jesus, and reading the bible enough?
 There is much more we need to do, than just hearing the word,
[a] We must allow it to convict our heart
[b] We must do what it says,
[c] We must be obedient to the commandments found in it.
[d] We must live what we learn from the word
[e] We must realize and believe that the word, is true, and that there is nothing in the bible,
which is not from God himself
[f] We must believe that the word was and is inspired by God’s Holy Spirit.
[g] We must hide the word in our heart, so we will not sin against God.
[h] We must realize that the word, is Jesus, and that we must follow him with all our heart,
mind and strength.
[I] We must be doers of the word, and not just hearers.
 He that believeth on him that sent me.
[a] What does it mean to believe on him who sent Jesus?
 If one believes in something, they put their faith and trust in that thing
 If one believes in someone they will be obedient to that person tell them to do.
`  If one believes in someone - they will do all in their power to honor them and show them their
[b] To believe on him that sent Jesus is to love the Lord God with all ones heart mind soul and
strength and diligently strive to do what he tells us to do.
 The rewards for doing these things, is to have eternal life.
II. John 5:25-29
25. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son
of God: and they that hear shall live.
26. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
27. And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
28. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29. And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil,
unto the resurrection of damnation.
[A] Who is the dead that Jesus is referring to here?
 It was not those who were dead physically, it was those who were dead spiritually
 When Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, they died Spiritually, as well as morally.
 After the original sin, mankind have all been born into a sinful world, with a sinful nature
 With a sinful nature in us, we learn to sin from the world and those around us, making us impure and
unworthy for the kingdom of God.
 As a sinner, we are spiritually dead,
[a] Spiritually dead refers to being separated from God
[b] Spiritually dead is the condition all of our souls were in before we accepted Jesus and began
[c] Spiritually dead is what is meant by those who are dead in Christ. It does not mean that their soul
will never die, for indeed this is not the case, for it will suffer punishment forever and ever, but it
does mean that it will be forever separated from Almighty God, and will have no hope, no comfort
and no love.
[B] Jesus says in verse twenty- five, that those who hear will live.
 Those who hear what?
[a] Those who hear what we talked about in verse twenty-four
 He is referring to those who not only hear, but who comprehend what they are hearing and do it.
[C] Verse 26
 God the Father has life in him and he gave that life to Jesus.
[a] In other words, what Jesus is saying is that God holds the power to allow someone to live of die. He
holds the power to allow someone to have eternal life or the cast them into outer darkness. That
power he transferred to Jesus, and Jesus, as the Judge of all heaven and earth has that power
[D] Verses 27-29
 All power has been given Jesus, because he is God’s son
 Even those who were dead and buried prior to Jesus coming and giving himself as a sacrifice for our sin,
would hear his voice and be judged by what they believe.
 They who believe in him, will be given eternal life, and those who do not will be cast into hell.
III. John 5: 30
30. I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own
will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
[A] I love to read of the humbleness of Jesus, always, his desire was to do the will of God, regardless of the cost
or the price it cost him.
[B] He could do nothing of himself
 What was he referring to with this statement?
 What can we do without God?
[a] You might say, I can sin and that would be true, but the truth is, unless God gives us the ability,
and the strength, as well as the very life we have in is, we would not even be able to sin.
[b] God is in control and nothing happens without it being his will. This does not mean that he wills for
us to sin, but he does give us the option of sinning or following him.
 If God is in control, and he is, then why doesn’t he make us so we will not sin?
[C] What was Jesus’ only goal while he was here on earth?
 To do the will of his father who sent him.
[D] What should our desire be?
 To do the will of our Father who art in heaven and his son who died for our sins.
IV. John 5:31-37
31. If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.
32. There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.
33. Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
34. But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.
35. He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
36. But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same
works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
37. And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at
any time, nor seen his shape.
[A] Verse 31
 What good is a witness about yourself? Is not the only true witness what someone else says about you.
 To give witness of yourself is to brag about what you are doing. Jesus did not want to brag on himself,
because that would have been bragging, so there was someone else who gave witness of him and that
made it right.
[B] Verse 32-33
 He begins to tell the crowd that John the Baptist bare him witness, John was sent into the word to give
witness of Jesus coming and to tell the people to prepare the way for him to come.
[C] Verses 34-37
 John who was sent to bare witness of Jesus was accepted for a while, but then he too was cast aside.
 Then Jesus went on to say that he had a greater witness, and that witness was God the Father
 Verse 37
37. And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his
voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
[a] How could God the Father be a witness, yet the people had never seen him or heard his
[b] They had heard his voice through the mouths and the writing of the prophets, the same way we
hear his voice and know of Jesus today
V. John 5:38-40
38. And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
39. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
[A] I fear that this is a problem that we are faced with today as well, there are many who profess Christianity, but
God’s word does not abide in them. They too have a problem believing everything that the bible says, and
instead of accepting everything as God’s word, they pick and choose what they want to believe and that is
what they do. If there is something they disagree with, they toss it aside and claim it does not have any
relevance for them today.
[B] There are those who believe that the Old Testament has nothing for us today, but just as Jesus told the
people in verse thirty-nine - Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are
they which testify of Him.
[C] The whole bible is prevalent to us, not just certain parts, for all is the word of God, and all is a part of God’s
wonderful plan for man, and is where we find how we can gain eternal life.
VI John 5:41-47
41. I receive not honor from men.
42. But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.
43. I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will
44. How can ye believe, which receive honor one of another, and seek not the honor that cometh from God only?
45. Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
46. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
47. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
[A] Verse 41
 Jesus made a statement here that each of us as Christians needs to take to heart.
 He desired no honor from man, instead he only desired honor from God.
[a] When we desire honor from man, we tend to turn away from God and do what man wants us to do,
[b] When we desire honor from man, we speak only those things which are acceptable in the world
[c] When we desire honor of man, we refrain from telling others that they are committing sin
[d] When we desire honor from man, we do what he world tells us, instead of doing what Thus Saith
 This is one of the main problems we are having in the church today, man desires to please man instead
of pleasing God,
 What happens when on desires to please only God?
[a] They become very unpopular
[b] They are persecuted
[c] They are hated by the world
[B] Verse 42
 This same statement could be made by Jesus to millions today, and many of them in the church.
 I make this statement because when one loves the Lord, they will desire above all other things to do
what the Lord wants them to do. Far too may Christians want to keep one foot in heaven and one foot
in hell, doing only what things of God they desire to do and nothing else.
 Jesus said, If you love me, keep my commandments and yet we see may in the church, committing sins
and acting as if they were God and that God had no right to tell them what they could and could not
[C] Verses 43-44
 Why is it the man will believe false doctrine, and lies, but they refuse to believe what God says?
 What is it about the Mormon religion that millions of people will believe that Joseph Smith received
golden scrolls from an angel, and from the he wrote the book of Mormon, when it had been proven that
places he spoke of in the book never existed, and that his claim that the American Indians were the lost
tribe of Israel when DNA has proven there is no relation? Why do millions of people believe in the book
of Mormon and the Mormon teaching when it is contrary to the teaching in the bible, and contrary to
the teaching of Jesus?
 Why does millions of people in the world follow a false religion, called the catholic church, when their
bibles tell them not to make any graven images, nor bow down to them, yet they are taught to practice
these teachings? Why do they worship a man who claims to be Jesus, and call men father, when the
bible prohibits it?
 How does man, convince their followers that they are Christ, and hundreds and even thousands follow
 Why does religions spring up following a man, or his teaching, and millions of people follow it when the
bible has been around for thousands of years, and the teaching of the bible has been available since
the beginning of time?
 Why do people refuse to believe in the creation story, and the account of the flood when the bible gives
it to us as a fact, yet they will believe in evolution and science which disputes everything the bible
teaches? Why can I, an unlearned, man of God, believe in the account of the flood and the things of
the bible, yet those who have extreme knowledge cannot?
[D] Verses 45-47
 Jesus will not have to accuse anyone before the Father
[a] The Jews will be accused by Moses whom they claim to follow, because he wrote about Christ
[b] He won’t have to accuse us either, because we will know when we stand before him, whether or not
we are worthy of entering in.
[c] Even the Muslims the Hindu and the other false religions, will not have to be accused by Jesus, for
when these people stand before him, they will have to admit that he is lord. For every knee will
bow and every tongue will confess that he is lord. As their lives flash before them, they will know
how many times they refused him, and how much they did against him. When he tells them to
depart, they will know that they deserve what they are getting.